REVIEW: THE SOCIAL NETWORK: PG-13

I feel bad, I did the quick update over a month ago telling my "loyal readers" that I'd see "Social Network" and review it soon. I guess couldn't see my blog over the tons of homework I've been having, so I apologize for that.

If "The Social Network" were bad, I wouldn't have bothered to review it after all this time. But it was absolutely EXCELLENT, and I hope while you're reading this right now you've seen or going to see it. Walking into the theater, "Social Network" already had several great things going for it: It had director David Fincher, who directed last year's (IMO) best movie, "Benjamin Button;" it has Andrew Garfield, the new Spider-Man (he's actually British); anadthe important one it featured the site that everybody loves: FACEBOOK! I bet Tom from MySpace (which I deleted my account last summer) is kicking himself for not thinking of a MySpace movie sooner.

Everything works in this film. The rapid dialogue (which I'm sure will win an Oscar) is highly entertaining. Jesse Eisenberg's cold but brilliant performance as the founder of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg! And, yes, Justin Timberlake's Oscar-nomination worthy (not winning) performance as the charmingly cynical Sean Parker, creator of Napster. For example, Zuckerberg and Co. originally intended on calling the site "The Facebook," but with a single sentence Parker convinces him to drop "the" from its title, which they obviously did. The ladies of the movie hold their own as well, it was so odd for me to see Brenda Song of "Suite Life" fame make out and set a trash can on fire, only proving her flexibility as an actress.

There are tons of things to praise about this modern masterpiece, but I like saying this the best: It always seems movies are being made about history, old news, or documentaries. Rarely is it a movie captures something exciting that's happening NOW, and Facebook is the NOW-est thing I know of. Besides, any movie that can take a jerk as a main character and still be interesting, that takes skill. This year's movies haven't offered much, so when it comes to choosing the Academy Award for Best Picture, choosing "The Social Network" should be a no-brainer. I just wish all 500,000,000 of Facebook's users would see this film.

Rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY