2010 in the Movies!

Writing this now it is the New Year, 1/1/11! This year in movies seemed extremely dull, full of remakes, sequels and spoofs. I'd be a hypocrite if I said I didn't watch them though...I saw 5 sequels and 2 remakes this year.

Due to the age restriction of the R rating on many of the year's acclaimed films (Winter's Bone, Black Swan, The Fighter, The Kids Are All Right) I haven't seen many of the Oscar contenders. I have a couple more films left of 2010 that I want to see, "Despicable Me," "How to Train Your Dragon," "Catfish" and "The King's Speech."

For animation this year it will be an enormous shocker if "Toy Story 3," the biggest animated film of all time doesn't walk away with the Oscar, and it will without a doubt get a Best Picture nomination. "Shrek Forever After" disappointed me, majorly ripping off "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Megamind" was only mildly funny.

Those 5 sequels I saw this year were not all bad. "Iron Man 2" was the first big non-summer summer blockbuster hit and "Harry Potter 7 Part 1" was an enormous pleaser that was pleasantly not converted to 3D they liked they had hoped. Oh yeah....that was another thing...
WHAT'S UP WITH ALL THE STUPID 3D? I liked "Alice in Wonderland" fine without the 3D glasses that supposedly made it better than it was. It seemed at least 75% of the movies this year had to come equipped with blue and red glasses for America to love them. Guess what "Piranha 3D?" You were wrong!

The best comedy of the year was easily the hysterical "The Other Guys" with Will Ferrel and Mark Wahlberg, who was overlooked in his great performance in this film for his performance in "The Fighter." Now THAT is a movie that should have been nominated for the Golden Globe award...not "The Tourist." Since I only saw 1 documentary this year I might as well stick it in somewhere: "Babies," overlooked for the shortlist in the Oscar for Best Documentary, this WILL BE the most adorable movie you will ever see.

And now to the best film of the year that is devouring the awards season. My title for best film of the year should come to no surprise to anyone has this has been topping lists and garnering so many nominations and awards it's like it was the only film released in 2010:
"The Social Network."
"Inception" and "Toy Story 3" were all outstanding films, "Inception" a completely original film showcasing director Nolan's talent and the true ability to think out of the box, and "Toy Story 3" a brilliant milestone in animation and the only movie this year that made me shed a tear or 2. It is timeless entertainment for all ages and for the next generation to discovery and fully appreciate.

For "The Social Network" I'll have a full description in my Top 5 Films List post coming up soon describing why this modern masterpiece is definitely the best film of two-thousand and ten.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY