REVIEW: THE WOMAN IN BLACK

While you're sitting in the theater I found myself with a question: Would I watch this movie if Daniel Radcliffe, Harry Potter himself, wasn't in it?  That's a no.  Radcliffe is making his premiere post-Potter performance, and if it seems like a step-down to what he could be doing, it is.  I don't think it's far off from saying Radcliffe and the rest of the Harry Potter youths are cinema's most powerful players; I saw Emma Watson in "My Week with Marilyn" but it was more of a cameo, and ultimately forgettable.  So would "The Woman in Black" prove to be a decent first wand-less film for Radcliffe?

It really depends on how you look at it.  In terms of horror movies, it's one of the better ones I've seen.  The film doesn't rely too heavily on gore like some of the flicks I've seen these days.  The mood is consistently dark and scarier, and you're always waiting on something to pop out at you, maybe a crow flying through a window or a face appearing in a mirror.  The use of dialogue is scarce, and effective.  If the movie talked too much it would ruin the suspense. The film's real downer is the beginning, which takes forever to move along the plot.  The theater I was in was packed down to the last seat, and I could see the audience collectively wake up as the first jump-scare happened.
Daniel Radcliffe's signature stare into nowhere

I think the movie made close to $23,000,000 at the box office last week, so it's going to be a success, and it's gotten decent reviews as well.  As far as Radcliffe, he easily carries the movie, but has to get away from what people are starting to call Harry Potter face (right), where Radcliffe is frequently seen staring off into space.  It's not a great jump out of the Hogwarts realm, but it's a start.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY