REVIEW: FRANKENWEENIE

After a tsunami of homework, projects and social activities (well....let's be honest, mainly a lot of homework) it was sweet relief to go back into a place that demanded nothing but my money and my attention: the movie theater.  I knew little about "Frankenweenie" except that it was supposed to be a scary movie...you know, for kids.  Wanna know what's really scary?  Running into your teacher at a movie theater and pretending you're happy to see them.

That didn't happen to me, (though it has happened in other public outings) but I didn't expect to be scared at "Frankenweenie" like I was when I attended "The Woman in Black" (yeah, you forgot about that one, didn't you?)  That movie scared the bejeezus out of me, and I went into this film thinking it would have the same effect on younger kids.  I'll admit some jump cuts did scare me and the five other people in the audience, one of whom looked a decade younger than me.  I'm always embarrassed to go into theaters where I'm basically the oldest kid, but if it means viewing some really beautiful animation, I'll take the fall.  "Frankenweenie" reminds me a tad of this summer's standout "ParaNorman," in that features a loner paired with a spooky science fiction story along with some articulately crafted stop-motion animation, which I expressed my love for with "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and "ParaNorman."

The movie isn't quite on par with "Norman," but it's got some wild creativity, even though the harshest of critics could say it's another "Frankenstein" ripoff.  Because it was so executed well I'd call it a loving homage to the 1931 classic I watched for the first time last Halloween.  That movie had the implausible task of turning a hulking monster into a lovable face, and it pulled it off beautifully.  With "Frankenweenie," you're already rooting for the "monster," Sparky.  Interestingly enough he's actually not a wiener dog, but "Frankenpuppy" doesn't have that same adorably weird ring to it.  Sparky is his master's best friend, and only friend.  Unlike "ParaNorman" Victor isn't bullied, rather he's more of a loner, keeping to himself and producing homemade movies in his attic with Sparky. I think it was rather a wise move of director Tim Burton to make the character simply lonely, and not in real need for a friend. Some kids just want to be by themselves.  When Sparky dies in a car accident, Victor can only think of one way to reunite with his best friend.

Atticus Shaffer (AKA Brick!)
This has Burton's name all over it, if you couldn't tell by the trailers.  It's less creepy than his other animated stop-motion wonders "Corpse Bride" and "Nightmare Before Christmas," and it's totally in black and white, cementing its homage-status to the original "Frankenstein."  The dark, gray tone to the feel of this film makes me want to compare it to a Halloween night: brisk, dark, but wildly entertaining.  While it lacks an A-list all star cast (many of the actors have appeared in Burton's other flicks) the voice talent is still top notch here, with the Igor character (this time the character is shown as a little brat) being voiced by "The Middle's" greatly used Atticus Shaffer, with a ghoulish accent.  Martin Short voiced three excellent different characters in the film, redeeming his role in "Santa Clause 3." One of the film's weaknesses was its Japanese character Toshiaki.  Perhaps I'm just PC but the character seemed blatantly racist, stereotyped as the brilliant foreign nerd who mixes his l's with his r's.  He even creates a Godzilla-like character by the end of the film.  I was hoping Burton and his animation would be above this.

While the animation is strangely similar to those Puff tissue commercial children, it's still a true privilege to look at, and to think of the labor that went into it.  Danny Elfman's score is also engrossing, reminding me of the animated Halloween specials I used to watch as a child.  As I've stated before, the movie is rapidly quick, and over before you want it to end.  I've never had a pet, but I've heard if you've owned one the film can get you a little teary-eyed.  It has that Burton magic found in his "Edward Scissorhands" and "Beetlejuice," and it's good to see him return to form, though audiences this weekend must have gone to that OTHER kiddie monster movie "Hotel Transylvania."  "Frankenweenie" is a wondrous work of art, with an excellent message for kids: if you love something long enough, it'll always stay with you no matter what.  I hope people start discovering  that "Frankenweenie" is one monster of an animated movie, perfect for everybody this Halloween.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY