WHY "SPRING BREAKERS" LOOKS AMAZING!

It's a rather dry movie news week so far, since I've never seen "Veronica Mars," so I wanted to take a brief little post to talk about a movie I am unabashedly seeing be it with friends or myself if it's playing in my area to see: "Spring Breakers."  I'll give you the trailer link here so in case you haven't heard of it, but if you're even remotely interested in current releases, you'll know the film.  I first was alerted of this masterpiece by Phillip DeFranco, my favorite YouTube news reporter, who linked to the trailer in the description.  I watched it and....my mind was blown.

On a serious note, I love when actors are cast against type.  I especially love it when actors are cast against type as villains.  Oh, I eat that up.  Mo'Nique in "Precious."  Leonardo DiCaprio in "Django Unchained."  Those are the characters you walk out of the movie remembering.  So when I saw James Franco's name mentioned by Phil, I was wondering what on earth would cause him to be in this, thinking it was probably just a five minute cameo for a favor for the director.  And then I saw James Franco.  He looked like Paul Wall on crack, or more crack than Paul Wall probably already does.  And those dreads. And that grill.  In the words of DiCaprio in "Django;" "Gentleman, you had my curiosity.  But now you have my attention."

Then I see Disney Channel graduates Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens wearing napkins for clothes and making out with each other, singing Britney Spears.  THEN I see another name I recognize, but never, ever expected to see in a film: rapper Gucci Mane.  The only other film he's ever acted in is a movie called "Confessions of a Thug," and that's the only thing you really need to know about him besides that he is the Mush Mouth of rap, his name alone is a product endorsement, and he, and I swear to you I'm not kidding, has an ice cream cone tattooed on his face.  Gucci Mane is a horrendous rapper, but he is entertaining as anything.   Then I see Gucci is scoring the movie (you can hear one of his ramblings on the trailer) and he's playing a character with possibly the whitest name ever: Archie?

Is this my birthday?  It only helps the director of this, who has an equally ridiculous name, Harmony Korine, has directed the likes of such movies as "Trash Humpers," "Gummo" and "Mister Lonely."  That has to be the world's greatest resume.  James Franco as a wangster southerner named Alien, two Disney girls gone wild, and Ice Cream Face all in one movie?  Did he forget to cast the Pillsburhy Dough Boy? Ben Affleck's beard? Or maybe Clint Eastwood's empty RNC chair?  Anything goes with ol' Harmony!

 All jokes aside, this movies actually gotten some mild acclaim, it looks like Ke$ha threw up all over it, and erasing Franco's performance in "Oz" from memory and replacing it with Alien is going to be sweet.  Forget spring break, all I need is "Spring Breakers."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY