IS RYAN REYNOLDS BOX OFFICE POISON?

No. The answer is no, but it's an eye-catching headline isn't it? The only legit name that is box office poison right now that comes to mind is M. Night Shyamalan, and the HR for "After Earth" really did try to focus more on the Smiths starring in the movie than the fact that he directed it, and it still bombed. If studios measured critical disdain as much as they weighed box office success to a movie, Shyamalan would've been dead to Hollywood after "The Happening," and it would've prevented him from making "Last Airbender" (still haven't seen it, too good of memories of the show.)

But Reynolds isn't like that, though to the shallow eye it would appear. He voices the titular snail in the animated movie "Turbo" and co-stars with Jeff Bridges in "R.I.P.D." They came in third and seventh place respectively, neither pulling any big numbers. In fact, both films cost around $130 million to make, and that is enormous loss for both studios. Reynolds had a pretty shoddy opening weekend, and I'm going to explain individually why "Turbo" and "R.I.P.D." failed to pull in the numbers.

TURBO:
Three words: "Despicable Me 2." You can even shorten that down to one word: Minions. Why would kids want to see a movie about snails (have they ever been anyone's favorite animals?) when they can drag their parents to see yellow cyclops dwarfs chilling with Steve Carrel? "DM2" is in its third week of release, and it still pulled in a strong number two spot. "DM2" is one of three sequels in this week's top ten, along with "Grown Ups 2" and "Red 2," which makes me weep for Hollywood originality. Even "Monsters University" stuck around for one last time in the top 10 (it's a prequel though) and kids probably wanted to see that more than racing escargot.

R.I.P.D.:
Another three word summary: "Men in Black." I'll admit initially seeing this trailer made me scratch my imaginary beard with curiosity, but then I realized I'd seen both lead characters before: Reynolds' character as Will Smith as Agent J, and Jeff Bridges' character as Rooster Cogburn in "True Grit." As much as I loved barely deciphering every word that grumbled out of his mouth, I figured I'd pass. Unlike "Turbo" though it was critically mangled, and don't expect to see it in the top ten next week.

So overall audiences passed the salt on "Turbo" and signed "R.I.P.D.'s" death certificate. But Reynolds is extremely likable, a draw for the ladies, and won't be going anywhere anytime soon, though comic book fans may have turned their backs on him; he's repeatedly disappointed in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," "Blade: Trinity" and of course "Green Lantern." But I choose to remember him as the adulterous amusement park boss Mike in "Adventureland," for sure one of his best roles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY