EARLY BEST PICTURE PREDICTIONS 2013 PART 2!

School is rearing its head again, but I don't mind because that means it's time for ridiculously early Best Picture predictions, in which, on September 1, I take a slightly more educated stab in the dark then my previous attempt on April 25. Despite not knowing if the number will be from five to ten, I always plan for the most and guess ten.

THE RETURNING NOMINEES:
  • Fruitvale Station (after seeing this movie and being floored by it a nomination is certain)
  • The Wolf of Wall Street (now that the trailer's been released it seems like an even safer bet)
  • The Monuments Men
  • Inside Llewyn Davis
  • Captain Phillips
  • August: Osage County
Right now, "Fruitvale" and "August" seem the only for-sure films to earn a slot, with "Fruitvale's" timely themes and "August's" powerhouse female performances. But these next four movies have nearly the same buzz, three of which I can confirm I've seen, and all of them I wouldn't mind winning. 

THE NEW PREDICTIONS:
  • Mud (the Southern drama that has huge Oscar buzz around it, especially for its lead)
  • Blue Jasmine (Blanchett has been getting raves and rightfully so, but anyone of the headlining cast Allen assembled could also snag a supporting nod; original screenplay is certain)
  • Lee Daniels' The Butler (I didn't love this piece of Oscar bait as much as I have the latter two films, but Whitaker and Winfrey are sensational, and Daniels certainly has history with the Academy with "Precious")
  • 12 Years a Slave (I can't believe I forgot this one in April! After seeing the trailer for this in "The Butler," a slew of noms is guaranteed for this sure to be engrossing tale of a freeman captured unjustly)
The biggest stretch of all of these is "Mud," which might have squandered a little bit of its potential by being released much earlier than the rest. But I think intelligent Academy viewers will see the masterful storytelling and keen direction of Jeff Nichols and slap it on the list.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY