GOLDEN GLOBE NOMINATION PREDICTIONS 2013!

Looking back on my 2012 predictions....I really didn't do too shabby! I'm taking my predictions now, the snowed-in Tuesday before the nominations announcement this Thursday, where last year I got all but three right more than a month before the announcements. Hurray for being increasingly less reliable and accurate! This really is one of the hardest awards shows to call....for comedy. There are literally 25 movies that could be eligible to be put into the five slots and I wouldn't be surprised at all. This Oscar race is riDICULOUS. So don't expect too many accurate picks in comedy...or even the overstuffed drama category. My money's actually only with animated film...

Bale needs a Globe for this picture alone in "Hustle"
BEST DRAMA:
  • 12 Years a Slave (all right, this and the next movie will indeed be easy to predict. But the other three are literally interchangeable as the hours pass) 
  • Gravity
  • Captain Phillips (you can always bank on a Hanks movie being a safe bet, and that wasn't even a crack on "Saving Mr. Banks," but I'll take it)
  • The Wolf of Wall Street (can't go wrong with Leo and Marty either)
  • American Hustle 
BEST COMEDY/MUSICAL:
The only musical released this year was "Black Nativity" a couple of weeks ago, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it won't get a nod. Then again, spy thriller and dramatic biopic "The Tourist" and "My Week with Marilyn" both were in this category in the past 3 years, so anything goes. I'm not going to count "Inside Llewyn Davis," though IMDb counts its genre under "music." Who knows!
  • Her (this romantic dramedy has been on fire lately in critics awards season. It could really fit into the drama race too I suppose)
  • August: Osage County (you're not doing awards season right if a Streep movie isn't on the list, and this black comedy will fit that description) 
  • Enough Said (this indie, and Gandolfini particularly have been receiving strong buzz)
  • Blue Jasmine (critics say it's a drama, but I definitely believe it had a lot of funny moments, and IMDb lists it as one)
  • This Is the End (there's always that comedy that just gets the sole best picture nomination. Last year it was "Moonrise Kingdom," 2010 had "Red" and 2009 had "The Hangover," the latter of which won! I have mixed feelings on the film, but given its tremendous star power, I think it'll be enough for this meta-comedy to warrant a nomination.)
BEST ANIMATED FILM:
Don't expect surprise French frontrunner "Ernest & Celestine" about a mouse and bear's relationship, to be on the shortlist, but do expect the all-around frontrunner that's been sweeping critic's prizes, the anime "The Wind Rises." While I thought "Monsters U" was an adorable throwback, expect "Wind's" only real competition to be "Frozen."
  • The Wind Rises 
  • Monsters University
  • Despicable Me 2
  • The Croods
  • Frozen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY