GOLDEN GLOBE PREDICTIONS 2014!

Well, my nomination predictions weren't too hot, but the Globes do tend to switch up genres without notice. ("Before Midnight" a comedy? "Llewyn Davis" a comedy/musical?) But now that it's been established, watch as  I attempt to navigate the major awards wins this Sunday. A list of all the nominees are HERE.

DRAMA:
  • ACTOR: There's no weak link here, but Ejiofor is expected to blow everyone out of the water for his performance of an unjustly kidnapped slave. But points for the Globes' originality: Idris Elba's Mandela was a left-field choice.
  • ACTRESS: British modern legends dominate this category, and if it was up to me the prize would be Blanchett's for her arresting, spot-on American, whiny performance, but I see Hollywood rewarding Bullock for her turn as a panting astronaut (I'm kidding, she was great, too).
  • FILM: If "Gravity" wasn't released this year, it would be a "12 Years" landslide, but the visual wonder has split voters between a horribly realistic portrayal of American slavery and the scariness of outer space. Despite "Gravity's" pros, I think they'll still recognize "12 Years a Slave's" brilliance.
COMEDY:
  • ACTOR: Believe it or not this is an even tighter race, Isaac particularly becoming a pretty big Oscar front runner, but I believe the Globes will give the edge to either Bale or DiCaprio for their incredible accents. Gun to my head, I'd go with DiCaprio for the sheer insanity factor.  
  • ACTRESS: Streep has eight globes. EIGHT. But her performance has predictably been given raves. I think the voters however will reward Adams for her layered, deceptive role in "American Hustle." 
  • FILM: Even though I find it overrated, I think "American Hustle's" star power will get it the win. Personally I'll be howling for "The Wolf" to pull an upset.
THE REST:
  • SUPPORTING ACTOR: I'm very pleased to see Fassbender and newcomer Abdi in the mix, but it's Leto's for the taking, no doubt about it. 
  • SUPPORTING ACTRESS: I'm displeased Jennifer Lawrence has been getting so much buzz for her role. Of course everyone's in love with her as an actress, and her role as a spitfire housewife was great, but Lupita Nyong'o is simply the stronger player here. Her Patsey is devastating. I believe the breakthrough actress will take it.
  • DIRECTOR: Even with "12 Years" inevitable winning best drama, this award has to go to Cuaron, for having such a huge role in creating a world we admire but are so unfamiliar with. 
  • ANIMATED: With "The Wind Rises" shoved to the foreign film category, it's "Frozen" that'll come out on top.
  • SCREENPLAY: Even with "Slave's" elegant antebellum-era language, "Her's" buzz comes very strongly from its highly original premise, and Spike Jonze may go on to win the Oscar. "Her" will surely win this prize. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY