GOLDEN GLOBES 2014!

Wow! Nothing was what it seemed last night at the Globes! Tina and Amy predictably killed as hosts, but the film award snubs and surprises are what got my attention. McConaughey winning for "Dallas Buyers Club?" Jennifer Lawrence beating Lupita Nyong'o for supporting actress?!? Things didn't make proper sense until "12 Years a Slave" won the big award of the night, best drama, its only prize. Truth be told, if you look at my predictions right below this post, I got 8/11 right, which isn't a terrible ratio! My thoughts on the awards show with a lot of 7 second delays, rambling speeches, and endless shots of people running to the stage because they sat the TV people so far away! (Red = the ones I got wrong!)

DRAMA:

  • FILM: 12 Years a Slave (I was sweating this big time. Will my second favorite film of the year get shut out?!)
  • ACTOR: Matthew McConaughey- Dallas Buyers Club (I can't properly critique this decision until I watch the movie, which pulled off a clean sweep with Leto's win)
  • ACTRESS: Cate Blanchett- Blue Jasmine (Faith in the HFPA restored! I thought Sandy would nab it, but luckily Cate (in a kind of drunken state) took the gold!)
COMEDY:

  • FILM: American Hustle (After seeing "WOWS" and "Nebraska"....ugh)
  • ACTOR: Leonardo DiCaprio- The Wolf of Wall Street (YEEESS! Unbelievably this is his 10th nod, and only 2nd win. Well, well deserved, for making an insane, cokefiend playboy likable)
  • ACTRESS: Amy Adams- American Hustle (Movie's overrated, she and Christian Bale's performances are not. Another well deserved win)

THE REST:

  • SUPPORTING ACTOR: Jared Leto- Dallas Buyers Club
  • SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Jennifer Lawrence- American Hustle (It makes sense I guess. Lawrence is the It Girl right now. Perhaps the SAGs or the Critics Choice awards will right this wrong before Oscar night)
  • DIRECTOR: Alfonso Cuaron- Gravity (As much of a "12 Years" fanboy I am, I'm really happy Cuaron won this. There were two great performances in "Gravity;" Sandra Bullock and him)
  • ANIMATED: Frozen
  • SCREENPLAY: Her ("Hustle" was largely improvised, so I would've been mad if it had won. Right now I would've liked to see "Nebraska" or "12 Years" take it home, but I'm very much anticipating see this sci-fi-rom-dramedy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY