OSCAR RESULTS 2014!

With the snow that's currently pummeling Virginia, it's a relief to say I was able to sleep in and miss a day of school, giving me an additional day to reflect on last night's Oscars! First and foremost: my predictions were correct! Happy to say that all my major predictions were correct, but on the technical side, I underestimated the power of Gravity! I'm not sure if I've written this anecdote before on this blog, but when I saw the very first sneak preview trailer of it in theaters, I rolled my eyes at Bullock's constant panting and was sure it'd be ridiculous. Pass the salt because I'm eating my words...$700 million and seven Oscars later, Gravity has turned into a true phenomenon, and had 12 Years a Slave been released this year it surely would've taken home it's eighth prize for Picture.

Jared Leto and Matthew McConaughey, both sporting an unorthodox white, took the trophies for Dallas Buyers Club, deserved entirely, which also picked up Best Makeup. I have to say, though in my heart I still hold Ejiofor should have won, I was 100% rooting for Matthew at the time. 2013 was his year, his time in the spotlight where he was recreated into a cinematic juggernaut, and he himself said that it wasn't too surprising he was getting the recognition on his episode of Inside the Actor's Studio. He said it was a culmination of the very hard work he's put in, and for that, I agree with him and chime in, as he did (and the world was hoping he was going to say) "alright, alright, alright." The McConaissance has peaked, ladies and gentleman, and I can't wait to see what he brings to Interstellar this year!

For the ladies, it was no surprise to see Mrs. Blanchett up there, but there was speculation whether/whether not she'd thank the controversial Woody Allen, but she did. I think the world will unanimously agree however, tonight was the night of Lupita Nyong'o. A fashion symbol, Oscar-winning icon was born as soon as we all saw her onscreen. Her touching speech added to the deserved praise that's been heaped on her, thanking ancestors like Patsey before her had paved the way. On the writing side, John Ridley won for his adapted screenplay of Solomon Northup's memoir (which I just finished reading, and the movie is nearly perfect in its closeness and accuracy to the man's words) and Spike Jonze won for his innovative, fresh take on 21st century romance for Her. Frozen had a clean sweep for "Let it Go" and Best Animated Feature. My favorite performance of the night was Pharrell Williams, who infectiously got both Lupita, the enchanting Amy Adams and even briefly Meryl Streep to dance along with his nominated "Happy!"

As for hosting duties, Ellen did a fine job, getting in some barbs like June Squibb's age and Bradley Cooper's loss without hitting too deep, like Seth MacFarlane did last year, who I still contend was an OK host! Mrs. DeGeneres had a safe, easy going vibe and pretty good jokes, including the now legendary group selfie and a pizza delivery, who's payment came courtesy of God himself Harvey Weinstein, but her best quip was her edgiest saying: "There are two possibilities for tonight: 1. 12 Years a Slave wins. 2. You're all racists." I died. I'm rooting for Ellen to make a third appearance next year!

Alfonso Cuaron's win for his technically demanding Gravity  had me a bit worried Slave would go home without the big prize, but Will Smith, fresh off his two Razzie wins from After Earth, announced the 86th winner for the Academy's top golden boy was 12 Years a Slave, matching Argo's three wins from last year for a Best Picture. While Steve McQueen's accent and over zealous joy made his written speech a little hard to understand, all that needed to be communicated was that blissful jump he performed after he was done! With Slave's win, Philomena, The Wolf of Wall Street, Nebraska, Captain Phillips, and, most notably, American Hustle were all left in the dust! I was happy to see Great Gatsby made a clean sweep for its awards, but I can't get over the Hustle blowout! I suppose voters finally realized it was too over-hyped!

So that, ladies and gentleman, were the 86th Academy Awards! Things went off without a hitch, no notably big surprises to speak of, but Ellen made for an enjoyable emcee, and I think only Cuaron for his Film Editing win was played off! It's been a great season for movies, and I eagerly await what 2014 will bring to the table!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY