THOUGHTS ON ROBIN WILLIAMS

It completely disheartened me to read a text last night informing me comedic legend Robin Williams died of an apparent suicide. I commented on the death of Phillip Seymour Hoffman as a warning sign to those struggling with addiction, I commented on the death of Michael Clarke Duncan because he was in my all-time favorite movie The Green Mile. Not since the latter's death have I felt such remorse and sadness for a celebrity's demise, and this time it's so much worse.

As a tween going into middle school, a school where I knew pretty much no one do to circumstantial events, I went to a very kind woman's house every day in the morning as a sort of daycare. She would pop in a movie every day for me, then when the bus came paused it, and the next day I would finish it up. On average it took me about three days to finish a film if it was about two hours, which was the longest the children's movies she played ever were. I really got into movies after the Oscar season of 2008, but this was an enormous platform that set the stage of what was to come. My absolute favorite film at the time was Jumanji, and I distinctly remember telling her this, so she went out of her way to get it from a neighbor for me to watch.

For a guy who doesn't enjoy watching movies over and over nowadays, I've seen Jumanji at least 15 times, maybe 20. That amount of watchability is usually reserved for a Disney movie (including Aladdin), but Jumanji was different. With its fantastical sense of adventure, excitement and special effects, I was captivated every time, and Williams' performance as Alan Parrish is almost entirely responsible. That movie rests squarely on his shoulders, and even though his typically manic, Williams persona doesn't shine through, he's still a joy to watch. With those mischievously piercing blue eyes, Williams made us fall in love with him over and over again. How could you not in roles in Flubber, Night at the Museum, Hook, Robots, and yes, even Jack, which I hold to be a little underrated despite the critical thrashing it got since it came from the man who helmed The Godfather.

Besides being stellar in movies geared towards kids, he was an outstanding, exceptional thespian, with complex, fascinating roles in the likes of The Fisher King, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Birdcage (which I just watched today out of tribute) and his Oscar winning turn in Good Will Hunting. The moment he grabs Hunting by the throat and tells him to stay out of his personal life is probably what got Williams the award, it's a jarring moment when the usually jolly actor threatens a man's life. It's superb acting, and it's amazing because Williams going over the top wasn't Williams going over the top--it was just his persona. He even popped up for a brief, memorable role on my favorite show "Louie." His "Inside the Actor's Studio" appearance made one man become physically in pain after laughing so hard. That about sums up Robin Williams.

Going on the various social media platforms and seeing his genius and legacy being celebrated, it warms my heart to know how many people grew up cackling with laughter at the Genie's wisecracks, seeing him go drag as Mrs. Doubtfire, or make us chuckle with Ben Stiller as Theodore Roosevelt. The selfish thing for me to think here is that I haven't even seen some of his best work: Good Morning, Vietnam, Awakenings, Dead Poets Society, One Hour Photo, or a single episode of "Mork and Mindy." He had such a wide ranging, eclectic body of work one is never sure which Robin Williams they'd get. And now that the man is gone, we can all relive his filmography over and over.

You're free now, Genie.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE WHITE RIBBON