THE 100 GREATEST FILMS OF THE 2010'S!

Before you see this list, I'd like to announce this blog is as old as the decade. That is to say for ten years, starting on January 15th of 2010. It read:

"I gotta say this is pretty sweet. I like just writing and stuff, mostly about movies, which I really enjoy, so expect movie reviews and everything. Just a blog to fill time."

Wow. The words of a young genius. I was 13 at the time and according to onthisday.com, The Hurt Locker had just scooped up Best Picture at the Critics Choice Awards. A slow Friday for the world.

When I walked out of the theater seeing Slumdog Millionaire when I was 12, movies were still strikingly new to me. I had just been allowed to see my first R-rated film in the theaters, Clint Eastwood's still-doozy of a film Gran Torino. I was a rule-follower. I didn't know what pirating was (and still have only done it once!). I was four years away from being able to see one on my own, so my mom and aunt accompanied me. I walked out of the theater dazzled...I didn't know what India looked like! The clever framing of Jamal using his life experience as a means of answering game show questions was so fresh to me. I would go on to download A.R. Rahman's soundtrack on my tiny MP3 player I used to drown out the country music and upperclassmen on Bus 286. On the ride back home that January day in 2009 I told my mom "I wanna see all the Best Picture movies." Even with my small amount of film knowledge I had discovered that this movie was the clear frontrunner, besting The ReaderMilkFrost/Nixon, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, the latter being another instrumental film contributing to my love of the medium.

Without TCM I wouldn't have a personality. I've seen hundreds of movies on the channel that has done nothing but give to me this entire decade. That's a whole 'nother post...but thank you, Robert Osborne. Combining those movies with the goal to see those then 81 winners kind of didn't give me a choice but to become a movie buff and amateur film critic. In a presentation I did in college I joked I was a big film awards nerd, which meant I was very popular in high school. Naturally in Fredericksburg, Virginia nobody shared my habit of analyzing how Christoph Waltz's absence in the SAG's Best Supporting Actor category would hurt his chances of winning for Django at the Oscars. I developed the party trick of being able to list all of the BP winners forwards and backwards...a skill that's come in handy, but sure hasn't paid the bills. Though it was a solitary passion, it was kinda neat to be the only one around who was interested in this niche topic. Of course this year I joined Film Twitter, where accounts are updating the awards hype minute by minute.

I started reviewing movies on MySpace (a phase in my life cringier than all of Bo Burnham's Eighth Grade, which may've earned a spot on the list). A friend told me he would read my old war movie reviews to his grandfather, and that made my little critic heart glow. I continued over on Blogspot ('cause it was free) and pretty steadily started reviewing movies I saw with my family in theaters/an occasional DVD review. For my journalism class in high school I submitted the blog for the Multimedia Free Lance Star whatchamacallit and won $50 for it, a fortune at the time. As I entered college it was harder to see movies in theaters, as my coursework became prioritized. Ironically I minored in film studies and saw less movies than ever in my life.

After graduating and having an artistic breakdown I realized how easy it was to critique a movie...but no so easy to write and make one. I'd made three little movies with my friends and that was exhausting. I'd started writing film essays in my comm classes and found a love for it; except now I have to work. If the blog is to continue, it'll be more focused on those, and less about reviews. I realized I was also writing about movies I was actively seeking out. It wasn't too often I could thrash a film because I know my taste (save for Nine LivesBad Words, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2). Everything hovered from a 2.5-3.5 pretty regularly.

However, I will always be grateful for this little outlet of mine. It's seen me through middle school and the entireties of high school and college. This decade has been so trasitionary for me, but having this has always been a constant. I've seen unforgettable indies, superheroes crowding the market, and Netflix slowly but surely becoming the big talking point in the Oscar conversation. This blog has seen me through four breakups, a summer in London and ten awards seasons for me to peruse and obsesses over instead of doing my homework. I hope to keep it around if not just for the wonderful memories and posts that have kept me feeling creatively content for the decade.

Below, for fun, are some stats on the blog. Read more to see my 100 favorite movies from 2010 to 2019! I'm all for lists, and ranking is what I do for kicks, but when you get as big as one-hundred things, ranking becomes asinine, so they're listed alphabetically. My only regret is not being able to add more foreign titles. Stay tuned later this week for my top ten movies of the decade! Thanks for sticking with me these ten years.

My most-viewed post: Classic review of Finding Nemo
Biggest audience: I hit my stride in July 2017 with 19.5k views
All time views: 151,355. Somebody sponsor me!
How much I've earned off AdSense: $0.02. Aaaand there go the sponsors...


  • 12 Years a Slave
  • 127 Hours
  • 13th
  • Argo
  • Arrival
  • Baby Driver
  • The Beguiled
  • Bernie
  • The Big Short
  • The Big Sick
  • Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
  • Booksmart
  • Boyhood
  • Brooklyn
  • Call Me by Your Name
  • Calvary
  • Captain Fantastic
  • Captain Phillips
  • Cloud Atlas
  • Compliance
  • The Descendants
  • Detroit
  • The Diary of a Teenage Girl
  • Django Unchained
  • Don’t Think Twice
  • Drive
  • Eighth Grade
  • Everything Must Go
  • Ex Machina
  • The Favourite
  • Frame by Frame
  • Fruitvale Station
  • Get Out
  • A Ghost Story
  • The Gift
  • Gone Girl
  • Goon
  • Gravity
  • The Great Gatsby
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • The Handmaiden
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
  • Hell or High Water
  • Hereditary
  • Hugo
  • The Impossible
  • Inception
  • Inside Out
  • The Kings of Summer
  • La La Land
  • Lady Bird
  • The Lego Movie
  • Les Miserables
  • Life of Pi
  • Lincoln
  • Lion
  • Locke
  • Logan
  • Logan Lucky
  • Looper
  • Manchester by the Sea
  • Marriage Story
  • The Master
  • Molly’s Game
  • Moneyball
  • Moonlight
  • Mud
  • Nebraska
  • Nocturnal Animals
  • Obvious Child
  • O.J.: Made in America
  • Pariah
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • Prisoners
  • The Revenant
  • Roma
  • Room
  • Searching
  • Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
  • Sicario
  • Sing Street
  • The Social Network
  • The Spectacular Now
  • Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
  • Steve Jobs
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  • Three Identical Strangers
  • Tower
  • Toy Story 3
  • Tyrannosaur
  • Warrior
  • Weiner
  • Welcome to Me
  • Whiplash
  • The Wife
  • Wind River
  • The Witch
  • The Wolf of Wall Street
  • You Were Never Really Here
  • Your Sister’s Sister

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY