OSCAR RESULTS 2013!

Wow, wow, wow!  That was a truly remarkable Oscar awards!  First off, congratulations are due to first-time Oscar host Seth MacFarlane, who knocked it out of the park, and only had one joke who didn't land for me: the Lincoln joke.  You know which one I'm talking about.  MacFarlane and the hilariously placed William Shatner predicted what today's headlines would read, and attempted to alter it by providing classy dances, while MacFarlane had previously made a sock-puppet version of "Flight," made out with Sally Field, and a song dedicated to....the risque women of cinema, to put it politely!

MacFarlane was a welcome presence when commenting on the length of the show, saying 85-year-old Emmanuelle Riva had been Quvenzhane Wallis' age when the program began!  But what I really came for was to see the race between "Argo," "Lincoln" and "Life of Pi," the presumed front-runners.  The awards started off great though, with Christoph Waltz getting best supporting actor right off the bat, just as I had predicted!  Later on Anne Hathaway walked up, completely beaming with excitement.  When you get married, win an Oscar, and get to be Catwoman in one year, I'd be pretty ecstatic too!

Next in the night came best animated movie, which sadly I knew was going to "Brave."  As I've said earlier, it's no "Cars 2" by any means, but "ParaNorman" was simply the superior picture.  What I wasn't expecting was a man in a kilt to accept it.  Like MacFarlane said, anything can happen live.  Later on came the screenplay awards, going to "Argo" and "Django Unchained" for adapted and original respectively.  I loved seeing Tarantino get up there and tell the cast how proud he was of them, and giving the peace out sign, hopefully signifying he'll be up there again one day!  

Then Meryl Streep, with no hesitation  announced what we all already knew, that Daniel Day-Lewis had won for "Lincoln," and as soon as he got up on the podium he joked about it! What a class act!  Jennifer Lawrence, looking like a beautiful combination of stunning and awkward, stumbled her way to the Oscar stage for her reward in a truly complex role with range.  Oscar-winner Katniss. Wow.  Then director...would Spielberg join Day-Lewis in Oscar glory? Nope, the man with the tiger in the boat, Ang Lee, rightfully took home what was a near impossible task.  My hat's off to you, sir. 

So finally, the moment we've all been waiting for arrived.....Jack Nicholson and the First Lady?  I mean, it's cool that she arrived, Clinton came to the Globes after all, he had to be one-upped.  Makes you wonder if Ann Romney would've presented had the election turned differently.  Seeing these vastly different people present something we've all been waiting for did make me smile though, it really goes to show that movies can touch anybody, really.  And when "Argo's" name was finally announced....I just about exploded!

So that was my reaction to the Oscars, you can check out the full list here, and I hope you watched it and enjoyed it as much as I did.  It's been a grand, marvelous, awards season, and I think already know what's being crowned Best Picture of 2013.....get ready for "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS ON TOM HARDY

CLASSIC REVIEW: FINDING NEMO

REVIEW: THE BOURNE LEGACY